Butterfly has come and gone, and now it’s time to start thinking of Cosi fan Tutte, our next production on March 13 & 15. In the meantime, I thought I should take a minute to point out the rave reviews Madison Opera’s Artistic Director John DeMain has been getting for his Lyric Opera of Chicago debut with Porgy and Bess. The Chicago Tribune critic John von Rhein raves:
Not the least of the show’s strengths is the conducting of John DeMain. His easy authority tells in every bluesy turn of phrase, in the smooth melding of stage and pit. What a luxury it is to hear George Gershwin‘s great score so sumptuously played by full orchestra.
Read more reviews here:
- Familiarity breeds love for ‘Porgy’, Chicago Sun-Times
- Second cast mesmerizes at Lyric, The Chicago Tribune
- Gershwin’s wonderful opera at last seen in Chicago, Daily Herald
- ‘Porgy and Bess’ worth the wait, Southtown Star
- ‘Porgy and Bess’ shines on Chicago stage under DeMain’s baton, 77 Square
Congratulations are due to Maestro DeMain, “the definitive ‘Porgy and Bess’ maestro.” Performances run until December 19; more information can be found on the Lyric website.