Carmen artists arrive on Sunday, with our first reherasals starting on Monday. Stay tuned for interviews, videos, and rehearsal photos once things get under way next week!
For now, let’s take a look at what’s coming up under our Creating OPERAtunities education initiative.
- On Tuesday night, Oct. 20, General Director Allan Naplan and guest artists from Carmen will present a special Opera Up Close event for the Madison Youth Choirs.
- Saturday, Oct. 24, bring the kids to the Overture Center Rotunda Lobby and join us in creating Flamenco Fans to put on display during Carmen! In partnership with the Monroe Street Fine Arts Center and Kids in the Rotunda, Madison Opera will have coloring and decorating stations set up in the lobby from 9 a.m. – 2 p.m. Stop by before or after Kids in the Rotunda performances by Wouli!
- Notifications for the 2009-2010 High School Apprenticeship Program went out this morning, and we’re excited for what looks like a fantastic group of young singers! Participants will go behind-the-scenes with Madison Opera for a year, starting with Carmen.
- Opera Up Close: The Carmen Preview will take place on Sunday, Nov. 1, 4 – 6 p.m. at the Madison Museum of Contemporary Art Lecture Hall (Gen. Admisison: $20, Students: FREE). Yes, we know there is some sort of football game going on at the same time, but don’t worry, we’ll keep all attendees posted of the score!
- On Wednesday, Nov. 4, we’ll hold our annual Student Matinee. This year’s students are definitely in for a treat…it doesn’t get more exciting than Carmen.
- Pre-Opera Talks are offered by General Director Allan Naplan in the Wisconsin Studio (3rd floor of Overture) exactly 1 hour before every performance. This is your last chance to learn about the music and history of Carmen and the details of the Madison Opera production before you take your seat!