Opera in the Park is set to go this Saturday night at 8 p.m. in Garner Park. Here’s everything you need to know to plan your evening:
HOW TO GET THERE & WHERE TO PARK
- Garner Park is located at 333 S. Rosa Rd. Parking is available across Mineral Point Rd. in University Research Park, and off of Rosa Rd. in CUNA Mutual. Handicap parking and drop-off is along Rosa Rd.
Please note: Rosa Rd. is currently under construction. The road is not blocked and traffic can still pass, but allow a little extra time for delays.
WHEN TO ARRIVE
- The park will open at 7 a.m. for those wishing to place chairs or blankets early in the day. Many people do this, but Garner Park is big: there is plenty of space, especially up the hill, even if you arrive at or after 8 p.m.
EATING & DRINKING IN THE PARK
- Picnicking is allowed and encouraged. Feel free to bring your own alcoholic beverages, but note that no wine or beer is for sale in the park. We encourage you to bring plenty of water.
- Chocolate Shoppe Ice Cream is the only vendor in the park, in addition to sodas and water for sale by Madison Opera.
WHILE YOU’RE IN THE PARK
- Raffle tickets will be sold in the park for $10 and 3 for $25. Prizes are an opera season package, $1,500, and a grand prize of $3,000. This is a great way to support Opera in the Park!
- Programs for Opera in the Park are available for free. You can read the program, and get information about the evening’s entertainment, in the Opera in the Park 2012 guide.
- Lightsticks, glow necklaces, and glow glasses are sold for $1. Be prepared for lightstick conducting in the second half of the program! Souvenir t-shirts will be available for sale again this year. Opera in the Park 2012 t-shirts are $12.
Forecast updates, and in the event of severe weather, a notice of postponement, will be announced at this page on the Madison Opera website. The rain-date for Opera in the Park is Sunday, July 22, same place and time.
Sounds like a fun summer activity – will this be the only one for the Summer, or will there be more?
-Jack @ Theater binoculars
Opera in the Park is the only summer production by Madison Opera. Our next production is Verdi's "A Masked Ball" ("Un Ballo in Maschera") on October 26 & 28.