Laura Muller, mezzo-soprano
Quartet, Little Women
1. Where were you born / raised?
Cuba City, Wisconsin.
2. If you weren’t a singer, what profession would you be in?
If being a singer in a rock band still counts, then I’d do that. If I can’t sing at all, then I’d be an astronaut (seriously).
3. The first opera I was ever in was…
I played the role of the Secretary in Menotti’s The Consul my freshman year of college. Definitely a memorable experience.
4. My favorite opera is…
The ones that are the darkest and most disturbing. Salome is a good one – it doesn’t get much better than a chick making out with a dead dude’s severed head.
5. My favorite pre/post-show meal is…
My favorite pre-show meal is ice cream. My favorite post-show meal is ice cream. Always ice cream.
6. People would be surprised to know that…
I will be a licensed massage therapist in May 2016.
7. My favorite book to read growing up was…
Polgara the Sorceress by David and Leigh Eddings. Yes, I was / am a fantasy geek.
8. If we were to turn on your ipod right now, what five artists / songs would we see on you recently-played list?
Quiet Dog – Mos Def; Could I Be – Sylvan Esso; Ideal Husband – Father John Misty; Sister – She Wants Revenge; Suck My Kiss – Red Hot Chili Peppers.
9. What is the worst costume you’ve ever worn?
Probably the itchy, bright-orange 70s-era polyester shift dress I had to wear for a production of Gianni Schicchi. I think my whole body broke out in a rash.
10. Everyone should see Little Women because….
It tells a wonderful story that is near and dear to my heart. (Jo March was totally my idol as a kid.)
Bonus: One question you wish someone would ask you (and the answer):
Q: Wanna go to a dance party?
A: Heck yeah.
Don’t miss the chance to see Laura in Little Women, as this beloved American classic comes to vivid musical life! Performances are February 5 and 7 in the Capitol Theater. Tickets start at $25; visit madisonopera.org for more information.
0 comments on “Ten Questions with Laura Muller”