Ten Questions with
Kelsey Park, mezzo-soprano
2nd Lady in The Magic Flute
1. Where were you born / raised?
I was born in Washington State, but grew up in Nebraska.
2. If you weren’t a singer, what profession would you be in?
I probably would have followed my mom’s career in architecture/interior design.
3. The first opera I was ever in was …
4. My favorite opera is…
Gounod’s Faust: it was the first professional opera I saw while in college.
5. My favorite post-show meal is…
6. People would be surprised to know that…
When I was in second grade, I said I wanted to be an opera singer. I didn’t grow up in a family of musicians and thought the idea of wearing a viking helmet while singing was a good one.
7. The musical instrument that I wish I could play is …
I’ve always loved the cello but I don’t play it.
8. I like to binge-watch…
Any show with my husband.
9. What four people (living or deceased) would you like to invite for a dinner party?
Daniel (my husband) and myself with my two grandfathers. Both shaped my life in ways I’ll never know and I wish my husband could have known them in person and not just memories.
10. Everyone should see The Magic Flute because….
It’s a classic!
Don’t miss the chance to see Kelsey in The Magic Flute, Mozart’s sublime opera that is part fairy-tale, part adventure story, and all enchantment. Performances are April 21 and 23 in Overture Hall. Tickets start at $18; visit madisonopera.org for more information.