1. Where were you born / raised?
2. If you weren’t a singer, what profession would you be in?
I would love to be a pilot, but I think ultimately I’d stick to some sort of musical profession.
3. The first opera I was ever in was…
Albert Herring by Benjamin Britten.
4. My favorite opera is…
Hansel and Gretel by Engelbert Humperdinck
5. My favorite pre-show / post-show meal is…
A burger at Madison’s own Dotty’s Dumpling Dowry, or a sandwich from Jimmy John’s.
6. People would be surprised to know that…
I’m allergic to dairy, which is tantamount to sacrilege in some Wisconsin circles.
7. The musical instrument that I wish I could play is …
8. I like to binge-watch…
Currently The West Wing. 30 Rock is my go-to.
9. What four people (living or deceased) would you like to invite for a dinner party?
Mozart, Nostradamus, Freddie Mercury, and I suppose I should invite my wife.
10. Everyone should see The Magic Flute because….
The music is incredibly rewarding for audience and performer alike.
Bonus: One question you wish someone would ask you (and the answer).
Q: How long have you been married?
A: Only 8 months!
Don’t miss the chance to see James in The Magic Flute, Mozart’s sublime opera that is part fairy-tale, part adventure story, and all enchantment. Performances are April 21 and 23 in Overture Hall. Tickets start at $18; visit madisonopera.org for more information.