- Where were you born and raised?
Born in Castro Valley, California and raised in the San Francisco Bay Area.
- Where did you go to school?
I am currently pursuing a DMA in voice performance at the UW-Madison.
- Who is your favorite opera singer?
- My favorite opera is…
Tosca by Puccini.
- What is your dream role?
Cavaradossi in Tosca or Radames in Aida.
- What are you most excited about for this upcoming Madison Opera season?
I am very excited for the opening show Cavalleria Rusticani / Pagliacci.
- What is your favorite thing about performing on stage?
The connections I make with fellow artists and performers.
- When did you know you wanted to pursue opera as a career?
When I first performed in an opera chorus.
- I like to binge-watch…
- People would be surprised to know…
…my ethnicity is Samoan, which comes from the South Pacific in the triangle of Polynesia.
- Bonus: One question you wish someone would ask you (and the answer).
Q. Where do you want to live and settle down?
A. I want to be based in San Francisco Bay Area, so I can be closer to my family. Family is everything where I come from, so if I can have an operatic career and be around my family, all while based in San Francisco, then I am truly happy.
Find out more about Benjamin and our other 2018/19 Studio Artists, and don’t miss hearing him perform this season!