Ten Questions With…
Jared Rogers, tenor
Beadle Bamford in Sweeney Todd
1. Where were you born / raised?
I was born in Carthage, Illinois, but my dad was in the service, so I grew up all over – California, Oklahoma, Germany, Washington, etc…
2. If you weren’t a singer, what profession would you be in?
Race car driver. Formula 1, of course.
3. My favorite opera is…
There are so many, but if I had to pick one it would be Eugene Onegin. I love Russian!
4. My favorite pre/post-show meal is…
A big steak after. If I have anything before singing I feel sick, so by the time I’m done, I am famished.
5. People would be surprised to know that…
I did not start singing until my second year in college. I wouldn’t even sing “Happy Birthday” until my twenties.
6. What is your favorite song to belt out at the bar / in the car / for karaoke?
Anything by U2 from the 80s.
7. What is your pop culture guilty pleasure?
Game of Thrones, if that counts.
8. A few of my favorite films are…
There are so many…. I love movies! Pulp Fiction, Glory, Amadeus, A Bridge Too Far, the list goes on.
9. If we were to turn on your ipod right now, what five artists/songs would we see on your recently-played list?
Callas, Wunderlich, Pavarotti, Terfel, and Sweeney Todd.
10. What is the worst costume you’ve ever worn?
A silver skirt, Mercury’s helmet, roller blades, and nothing else. It was a strange show.
11. Bonus: One question you wish someone would ask you (and the answer):
Q: Why opera and not some other form of singing?
A: Because of many things, but the bottom line reason is in opera there is nowhere to hide. No mic, no auto tune machine – if you don’t have it, you don’t have it.
Don’t miss the chance to see Jared in Sweeney Todd, a thrilling American masterpiece! Performances are February 6, 7, and 8 in the Capitol Theater. Tickets start at $25; visit madisonopera.org for more information.
0 comments on “Ten Questions with Jared Rogers”