Benjamin Liupaogo – Tenor
1. Where were you born/ where were you raised?
I was born in Castro Valley, California. I was raised in the San Francisco Bay Area.
2. If you weren’t a vocalist, what profession would you be in?
I would be in the medical field. I like to help people.
3. The first opera I was ever in was…
Orpheus in the Underworld.
4. My favorite opera is…
5. My favorite pre/post show meal is…
Pre-show would be crackers and many different types of cheese and meats. Post-show would be cheesecake.
6. People would be surprised to know…
That I am a big teddy bear!
7. I like to binge-watch…
Shameless, Bones, Charmed, Numbers, Harry Potter 1 – 7.
8. What four people would you like to invite for a dinner party?
Maya Angelou, Oprah Winfrey, Stephen Sondheim, Franz Liszt
9. What is the worst costume you’ve ever worn?
In a production of Candide, I had on genie pants and a top. They were like pajamas but way too big for my body. I looked like the marshmallow man from Ghostbusters.
10. Why should people go to the opera?
To experience a beautiful art form and to be amazed at what is required of an opera caliber singer. First and foremost go for the singing. It takes a lot of work to make singing sound easy in an operatic production.
11. Bonus: What’s one question you wish someone would ask you (and the answer)?
Q: Why did you choose music as your field/career?
A: I chose classical music and voice as my career because I love and have a passion for this art form. My purpose for this career path was for myself. I made a choice that I would pursue this career for the sake of the art and the music it had to offer to others as well as myself. I like to help people, and this is one way that I can help others. Music has always given me life and I could not see myself in any field other than music.