- Where were you born and raised?
I was born in Richland Center, Wisconsin, and raised mostly in Stoughton, Wisconsin.
- If you weren’t a singer, what profession would you be in?
I’d like to try a little of everything: teacher, writer, community organizer, personal trainer, public speaker, strategy consultant, life coach, editor, sous chef. Character flaw or Renaissance person – who can say?
- The first opera I was ever in was…
Dido and Aeneas, in the role of Belinda.
- My favorite opera is…
Peter Grimes (or Der Rosenkavalier or anything by Verdi, depending on the day).
- My favorite food to cook is…
My husband and I make a mean mushroom risotto.
- People would be surprised to know that…
My great uncle is the only man ever to win gold medals in the decathlon and an individual event (high jump) in the same Olympics!
- If I could spend a ‘weekend in the country’ anywhere, real or fantasy, I would…
Currently I’m jonesing to visit New Zealand.
- I like to binge-watch…
The Great British Baking Show.
- What four people (living or deceased) would you like to invite for a dinner party?
I’d go for a main course of witty conversation with a healthy serving of contemporary social commentary – Jordan Peele, Kumail Nanjiani, Ellen DeGeneres, and Michelle Obama.
- Everyone should see A Little Night Music because….
…it has comedy, tragedy, love, dancing, and great tunes!
- Bonus: One question you wish someone would ask you (and the answer)
Q: What are you reading right now?
A: Harry Potter in German (slow going, but at least I know the plot already)
Find out more about Jeni and our other artists, and don’t miss the chance to see her perform Anne Egerman in A Little Night Music. Performances are February 8 and 10 in Capitol Theater. Tickets start at $25!