- Where were you born and raised?
I was born Urbana, Illinois and raised in Columbia, Missouri.
- If you weren’t a director, what profession would you be in?
I honestly can’t imagine doing anything else.
- The first opera I was ever in was…
In Chicago I was in Philip Glass’ Akhnaten. I was still dancing, so I was the principal dancer.
- My favorite opera is…
Hard one. Peter Grimes was up there for a long time. Don Giovanni floats around that spot. Moby Dick gets mighty close.
- My favorite food to cook is…
I can make a mean lasagna, and a pretty top-notch chocolate babka. I could eat sushi all day, but I can’t make it well.
- People would be surprised to know that…
These days, I think people are surprised when they find out I was a professional dancer for nearly 20 years.
- If I could be in any fairy-tale, I would be in…
As in living in one? Fairy tales are far too scary. I’m scared enough in reality.
- I like to binge-watch…
The West Wing, Breaking Bad, Russian Doll, and Big Mouth.
- Everyone should see Rusalka because….
The music and the singing are beautiful, the story is rooted in fantasy but surprisingly relatable.
- Bonus: One question you wish someone would ask you (and the answer).
Q: How do you take your coffee?
A: Very dark roast, two tablespoons of heavy cream.
Find out more about Keturah and our other artists, and don’t miss the chance to see her stage direction of Rusalka. Performances are April 26 and 28 in Overture Hall. Tickets start at $18!
0 comments on “Meet the Artists – Keturah Stickann”