- Where were you born and raised?
I was born Urbana, Illinois and raised in Columbia, Missouri.
- If you weren’t a director, what profession would you be in?
I honestly can’t imagine doing anything else.
- The first opera I was ever in was…
In Chicago I was in Philip Glass’ Akhnaten. I was still dancing, so I was the principal dancer.
- My favorite opera is…
Hard one. Peter Grimes was up there for a long time. Don Giovanni floats around that spot. Moby Dick gets mighty close.
- My favorite food to cook is…
I can make a mean lasagna, and a pretty top-notch chocolate babka. I could eat sushi all day, but I can’t make it well.
- People would be surprised to know that…
These days, I think people are surprised when they find out I was a professional dancer for nearly 20 years.
- If I could be in any fairy-tale, I would be in…
As in living in one? Fairy tales are far too scary. I’m scared enough in reality.
- I like to binge-watch…
The West Wing, Breaking Bad, Russian Doll, and Big Mouth.
- Everyone should see Rusalka because….
The music and the singing are beautiful, the story is rooted in fantasy but surprisingly relatable.
- Bonus: One question you wish someone would ask you (and the answer).
Q: How do you take your coffee?
A: Very dark roast, two tablespoons of heavy cream.