2nd Wood Sprite
- Where were you born and raised?
I was born and raised in Waukesha, Wisconsin, so not too far away!
- If you weren’t a singer, what profession would you be in?
Well, one of my actual jobs is managing an opera outreach company, Opera for the Young, and I find that I really enjoy that side of opera as well, so maybe I would still be in the arts. Otherwise, I always thought I would become a doctor when I was younger.
- The first opera I was ever in was…
Die Fledermaus at Carroll College in Waukesha when I was 15. I had been in the WSMA Honor Choir, and the director asked the local choir members to be in the opera chorus.
- My favorite opera is…
This is so hard to answer! I love verismo and I’ve had the great joy of singing Tosca twice, so I think she wins. There is some music that never gets old.
- My favorite food to cook is…
I love making Indian dishes – palak paneer or dal makhani are two of my go-to favorites.
- People would be surprised to know that…
I started out as a violinist and even played a bit in college before really focusing on singing.
- If I could be in any fairy-tale, I would be in…
Oh man, there are not many fairy tales I’d want to be IN – these stories are dangerous. I love the story of Beauty and the Beast, but who wants to be locked away in a crumbling old castle?
- I like to binge-watch…
I fell into Call the Midwife this year…it ate months of my life. There are so many seasons!
- What four people (living or deceased) would you like to invite for a dinner party?
Keanu Reeves JUMPS to mind, then RBG, JK Rowling, and Joan Baez.
- Everyone should see Rusalka because….
Dvorak’s music is so incredibly luscious! It’s an easy treat to listen to and the story is so well-known – a major plus on the opera stage.
- One question you wish someone would ask you.
Q: What’s your favorite Wisconsin getaway?
A: My family loves to go to the beach in Kohler – it’s so relaxing to sit and hear the waves and watch a puppy run wild!